Exhibitions: Gravity and Grace: Monumental Works by El Anatsui

IN CONVERSATION

Our visitors respond to this 30-second video.

• At the age of 18 I lived in Ghana for 6 months. For a young Midwesterner it was an amazing experience. Trash was everywhere the cheap woven bags everyone used were strange to me and filled with even stranger things fruit and vegetables I'd never seen. Anatsui's work brings me back and touches me again with all those experiences.

— Matthew

• So tactile and sensual. You want to hide under these pieces of "fabric". Or wrap yourself in them. They are dangerous. They reflect an industry that's caused grief and pain and illness.

— Stephanie

• I feel that this piece, "ozone" reflects the constant changing of our ozone layer. The air blowing on to the piece represents the harsh atmosphere/natural environment that we have shaped, causing the metal to rattle and almost cry for help to save it.

— Ian

• Without even thinking about it, we throw away and discard things that are full of worth and beauty. Going through this exhibit has not only proved that to me but it has also inspired me to take a better look at what I take for granted and it makes me want to change my view on these commonly forgotten pieces of art.

— Jillian

• It gives me the chills and it sound like little metal and metal getting pushed together softly.

— Jake Age 8