Exhibitions: Gravity and Grace: Monumental Works by El Anatsui

IN CONVERSATION

Our visitors respond to this 30-second video.

• I loved how he worked with his native environment, embracing it along the way, as he continued to make his sculptures.

— Nathaniel, Age 10

• A beautiful mind can find beauty in anything or arrange things into beauty.

— Chris

• His monumental pieces, like Earth's Skin, evoked a very strong sense of the universality of the human condition. It made me want to cry, partly because of the rarity of that genuine feeling in a world racked by nationalism, religious hatred, injustice, hunger and violence, and partly because both the title and the form of the work conveys the fragility of the human condition.
    Not to mention the power conveyed by the fact that "his" work is truly a collective effort.
    Thank you so much for bringing it to Brooklyn. We need many, many Anatsui's to save us from our feeling that we have no power to overcome the separateness of our respective communities, and to give hope and power to a message of community and peace. Be they graphic artists/sculptors like him, or musicians, or dancers or poets, they can bind us together in ways that politics alone aspires but usually fails.

— Eric

• Hard to resist touching to leave MY charge. But I did resist!

— Allan

• The awesome size is monumental yet is not overwhelming. Because they are pliable, bendable and in one case moved by an artificial gust of air they are fluid. Imagine that. How can bits of metal be fluid? It challenges our senses and previous notions of what is metal, what is art, what is movement

— Amy