Exhibitions: Gravity and Grace: Monumental Works by El Anatsui

IN CONVERSATION

Our visitors respond to this 30-second video.

• Humbling and dwarfing, his pieces leave you full of awe. Beauty need not arise or be born out of rare and fine artifacts nor materials as is made obvious from his exhibition. We can create and bring out beauty in everyday contexts, objects, and situations.

Thank you for this beautiful exhibition.

— Dylan From Canada

• Beautiful and inspiring! I hope the idea of using recycled/found materials becomes more normalized into western lifestyles for a variety of function and fun.

— Jelena

• Wow. This made me stop and breathe. The movement and spirit within these pieces gave me a sense of power and freedom.

— B

• I understand that he is the visionary & conceptual & technical brilliance in the work, but I'd like to know more about his team who do the hours of repetitive piece work....are they paid well? Are their women as well as men? Does he mentor them if they are young artists? I've followed his work for ten years and always wondered about this..... I wish he would travel to India, which offers vast recycled materials and a galaxy of coloration.

— Cathy

• I gasped as I came into this room- the surprise & beauty of it. He works not only with color & form but light, shadow, transparency .

— Karen