Exhibitions: Gravity and Grace: Monumental Works by El Anatsui

IN CONVERSATION

Our visitors respond to this 30-second video.

• I think these works are beautiful. It's somehow like alchemy, I think. But also it's sort of transforming from one medium to another, where hard metal becomes like fabric. My 8-yr-old daughter agrees with me.

— Stephanie

• These artworks are amazing -mainly because they show a harmonious coexistence of extreme beauty and terrible ugliness. Viewed from afar, the "red block" and "black block" pieces are beautiful in their form, texture and dimension. Up close, however, one sees what the sculptures are actually made of: GARBAGE (in the completely literal sense, of course). Very impressive monumental artworks...but the aesthetics are NOT in the details!

— Sophia

• Have you ever been surfing? Have you ever felt the charge of the ocean?

— Brian Blake

• The beauty of recycled material - sculptures, royal brocate robes; brutally cutting through a continent; pop art with a twist......

— Susanne

• I resonate with the idea that we are all connected and that beauty is redemptive and in the eye of the beholder whose mind/heart has been transformed by the art or resonates with it...this relation or connection is how I view "the charge".

— Laura