Archive for 2007

The Mut Expedition 2008 – we’re off!

The Brooklyn team leaves at the end of the month for another 2½-month season of work at the temple precinct of the goddess Mut in…

Read More

Facebook Pages…continued

Following up on this post, we’ve had some great news on a few applications that are now ready for pages. If you’ve got a YouTube…

Read More

Join the “Goodbye Coney Island?” Flickr Group!

I am very excited that Patrick Amsellem, curator of photography, is working with us on a web project in conjunction with the Goodbye Coney Island?…

Read More

Coney Island & Entertainment

Coney Island has a long history as a place for entertainment. Even before the creation of the three great amusement parks around 1900, the area…

Read More

The Schenck Houses – their story through the Museum Library and Archives

Drawing by Daniel M. C. Hopping. From the book American interiors, 1675-1885: a guide to the American period rooms in the Brooklyn Museum by Marvin…

Read More

Newly on View: Herald Tribune Owls

The next time you enter the Grand Lobby of the museum, make sure you cast your eyes upwards. In one of the openings in the…

Read More

More Global Feminisms Press

More international press about the Global Feminisms exhibition from Bulgaria! Diana Popova, “Boryana Rossa: Bio (art) and Cyber (Feminism),” Kultura Weekly, #33 (2472), October 3,…

Read More

Indianapolis prepares for “To Live Forever: Egyptian Treasures from the Brooklyn Museum”

A team from the Indianapolis Museum of Art including curator Theodore Celenko, designer Tim Hilldebrand, director of new media Daniel Incandela, and new media project…

Read More

Goodbye Coney Island?

Last week we finished the installation of the small photography show Goodbye Coney Island? in the Luce Alcove on the fifth floor of the Museum….

Read More

New addition

People approaching the Museum from the Parking lot or Washington Avenue may have noticed construction materials and machinery behind a green fence. The Museum is…

Read More

Facebook Pages

We just spent some time setting up Facebook pages for both the Brooklyn Museum and the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art. Pages are…

Read More

We’ve been on MySpace for a while now and we just confirmed our 10,000th friend request (above). I thought a look back would be in…

Read More

How do you light Light?

A major factor influencing Brushed with Light‘s design was due to the delicate nature of watercolors themselves. Because the works are light sensitive it is…

Read More

Italian Artists in New York

Two weeks ago, while the City was getting ready for the New York City Marathon, an event that gathers many people from Europe, I visited…

Read More

Exploring Popular Culture in the Caribbean Through Music

Art handlers installing Miguel Luciano’s Platano Pride and Miguel Luciano himself. Over the past few months of teaching university students in Infinite Island, I…

Read More

The Art of Mary Beth Edelson

(Mary Beth Edelson, Double Agent, 2000. Courtesy of the Artist). With so much phenomenal attention on feminist art these days, its important to acknowledge that…

Read More

ArtShare on Facebook!

One of the things we are always striving to do is share our collection in new and unique ways. This can be seen in many…

Read More

Academic Open House Part 2

Eleanor Whitney and I had a great time at our recent Academic Open House which was an exciting first step towards engaging professors and to…

Read More

Academic Open House Part 1

As an Academic Programs Coordinator my job involves connecting members of our local academic community with the resources that the Brooklyn Museum has to offer….

Read More

Video Competition Lessons Learned

Lessons learned post about the Visitor Video Competition for all the colleagues out there who might be thinking of doing something similar.

Read More

Much More Than Meat Joy

(Carolee Schneemann, still from Fuses, 1965. Courtesy of the Artist.) This month there are a fantastic crop of programs showcasing the work of Carolee Schneemann,…

Read More

Winners!

As the Brooklyn Museum means so much, and in so many different ways, to our audiences, these videos are an extraordinary reflection of both this…

Read More

Good Luck!

On the eve of the announcement of our judges’ decision, Brooklyn Museum staff wanted to share some of our own thoughts (ranging from the “I-have-to-smile…

Read More

MJ news for the gossip hounds out there…

Michael Jackson was here for an Ebony photo shoot. This was pretty exciting for us and it looks like there were good shots of our…

Read More

The Guerrilla Girls are honored by Women in the Arts 2007

In 2002, the Brooklyn Museum’s Community Committee established a tremendous award to celebrate women artists, patrons, curators, collectors, and critics whose contributions have had a…

Read More

Demetrios gets CT scanned

Photo by Adam Husted Sorry for the delay in this post, but it was a long process organizing the CT scans. When we unpacked Demetrios,…

Read More

Up Close and Personal – Statues and Their Meaning

The first time I came across the statues that sit along the top of the building was when I digitized images of the Museum’s exterior…

Read More

Schenck Re-Installation 2007

Slideshow created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR. Having trouble seeing the slideshow? Photos are also on Flickr. These slides show the Jan Martense Schenck House as it…

Read More

Resisting Images: Women and Gender Studies Film Series 2007-2008

Information for those who are interested in women making film and video art. Rutgers University is running Resisting Images: Women in Film, Women’s and Gender…

Read More

Video entries are rolling in…

Entries for our Visitor Video Competition are starting to roll in. We’ve created a YouTube playlist which can be seen in this post and we…

Read More

Pandora’s Book

If Marshall McLuhan were a gypsy and his teacup the art world, the tea leaves would be artists’ books. —Ingrid Sishey (National Arts Guide, vol….

Read More

Women in Modernism Colloquium

Women in Modernism Colloquium at The Museum of Modern Art October 25, 2007 Do you still believe there is such a thing as all men’s…

Read More

Art:21 @ Brooklyn Museum

As an educational programmer I am always on the lookout for organizations with which we can collaborate to bring innovative and diverse programs to the…

Read More

Lights, Camera…..

On another Target First Saturday note, the Visitor Video Competition was shooting and we spotted a bunch of cameras, which was pretty exciting. From what…

Read More

Twitter?

What’s wrong with this picture? As it turns out, a lot. At the October 6th Target First Saturday, we decided to experiment with Twitter and…

Read More

Purchasing a Major Work of Art for the Collection – part VI

The search for an object to purchase in honor of the soon-to-be-retired Curator of Asian Art began more than eight months before I arrived at…

Read More

Feminist Symposium: “The F Word”

The F Word is an all-day symposium being held Friday, October 26 at the Alexander Library Teleconference Room. Registration is required, free and open to…

Read More

Conserving Watercolors: Under the Microscope

In my previous post, I discussed how an adhesive introduced with an ultrasonic mister can be used to stabilize paint layers. Now you can see…

Read More

Conserving Watercolors: Misting to Stabilize Paint Layers

In preparation for the Museum’s current exhibition, Brushed With Light, conservators in the Paper Conservation Department examined over ninety watercolors. It was great to work…

Read More

Luce Visible Storage Panoramas Coming Soon

Jook Leung from 360VR came in today to shoot a few panoramas of our Luce Visible Storage area. These should be on our website within…

Read More

“Infinite” Questions Answered…Tomorrow!

Infinite Island opened nearly three weeks ago at the Brooklyn Museum, and thousands of people have already visited the exhibition. We’ve been getting great feedback…

Read More

Visualizing Caribbean Art and Culture in the Twenty-first Century

Artist Steve Ouditt installing his Infinite Island work, “Excerpts From the Propagandist’s Diary of L. Padre Grande,” 2007. What happens after an exhibition opens? Even…

Read More

Purchasing a Major Work of Art for the Collection – part V

Armed with the “wish list” and approximate budget I described in my previous entries, the team of curators and trustees who were interested in finding…

Read More

Play

One of the great pleasures of working at the Brooklyn Museum is having access to research collections that run the gamut from antiquity to contemporary…

Read More

Video from the Art Parade

Following up from this earlier post, here’s our video from the Dietch Art Parade! Many thanks to Tiny Masters of Today for allowing us to…

Read More

Tree of Paradise travels to Dayton

Tree of Paradise: Jewish Mosaics from the Roman Empire opens September 21 at the Dayton Art Institute in Dayton, Ohio. I curated this exhibition for…

Read More

We had a blast at the Deitch Art Parade!

We had a fabulous time at the Art Parade! Many thanks Robert and Dawn at Jet Set Salon for transforming my hair into the Brooklyn…

Read More

We’re going to the Art Parade!

For the first time, we are going to be in The Art Parade this weekend, so stop by and say hello! Pics will be posted…

Read More

Purchasing a Major Work of Art for the Collection – part IV

I have been discussing the process of acquiring a new masterpiece for the collection, and in my first installment, I introduced the object, a bronze…

Read More

Brushed with Light: American Landscape Watercolors from the Collection

One of the great challenges of working with the Brooklyn Museum’s large and important collection of American watercolors is determining how best to share it…

Read More