Archive for 2008

Going Paperless for 1stfans and Happy New Year!

For 1stfans, we are attempting to go as paperless as possible and this has been an interesting challenge for us. The first major shift is…

Read More

1stfans Twitter Art Feed Artist for January 2009: An Xiao

In the same spirit that we asked Swoon to launch 1stfans in person (that is to say, with the Museum’s existing community in mind), we…

Read More

An Ongoing Series of Panels on Human Trafficking

In the autumn of 2008, the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art began an ongoing series on the serious and epidemic issue of sex…

Read More

The Community Fills a Void at The Commons on Flickr

You may have read about the departure of George Oates in the media, but if not check out Seb’s blog post on the subject for…

Read More

Swoon Print for 1stfans on January 3

Though the launching of 1stfans is being done mostly online, one of the critical goals of the group is to get people to come and…

Read More

Costume Collection Q & A

You may have seen Carol Vogel’s article in the New York Times about the exciting news concerning the Brooklyn Museum’s costume collection, and our collaboration…

Read More

1stfans Twitter Art Feed & open call

One of the things we are really excited about with the launch of 1stfans is giving these new members something they can really get into….

Read More

getting to know our 1stfans

It’s funny, if you know me, I’m sure you can imagine that I would have had a total fit if someone came into my office…

Read More

introducing 1stfans: a socially networked museum membership

Working in Membership means my job is to get people excited about and involved with the Museum. In that way, my job is just as…

Read More

Flickr Commons: Coping with a Small Staff and Community Ideals

One of the interesting things about The Commons is anyone can do it, which is pretty cool. Often, I think, larger institutions have an advantage…

Read More

Flickr Commons: A Delicate Balance

This is part two in what I think will eventually be a three part series (sorry, Tyler, I realize you are the king of the…

Read More

Utilizing YouTube Quick Capture for Community Voices

The Black List Project just opened last week and our education staff really wanted to include visitor response as part of the exhibition. Typically, we…

Read More

Please sit down

You’ve been walking around a museum for several hours looking at hundreds of artworks, and want to take a break and sit for a minute….

Read More

Mattress Factory meets Google Street View!

Last month, I was speaking at the Technology in the Arts Conference in Pittsburgh and a real highlight for me was taking a visit to…

Read More

Flickr Commons: It’s Complicated

I’ve already reported on many of the really cool things that can happen when participating in a venture like this one. We continue to get…

Read More

iPod Touch for use in the Gallery

So, the idea was pretty simple: the curators of Burning Down the House: Building a Feminist Art Collection wanted our visitors to hear directly from…

Read More

Deinstalling Ghada Amer: Love Has No End

Introduction didactic to Ghada Amer: Love Has No End with packing boxes. Photo by Sarah Giovanniello Last week we watched as the deinstallation of Ghada…

Read More

Whoa, we won a Forrester Groundswell Award!

This is more than a little overwhelming for us, but we’ve just been notified that the Brooklyn Museum has won a 2008 Forrester Groundswell Award…

Read More

Portrait of a Librarian

If you’re one of the few people who still read, you might occasionally reach for a bookmark. The Bureau for Open Culture at Columbus College…

Read More

Artists’ Books Conference and the Brooklyn Museum

This week there is a contemporary artists’ book conference being held in collaboration with Printed Matter’s NY Art Book Fair. The conference is being co-organized…

Read More

Contemporary Take on Landscape Painting

Valerie Hegarty (American, born 1967). Fallen Bierstadt, 2007. Foamcore, paint, paper, glue, gel medium, canvas, wire, and wood. Gift of Campari, USA , 2008.9a–b. Photo…

Read More

What does it take to Photosynth the Brooklyn Museum?

After seeing this demonstration video, we couldn’t wait to answer this question. Before I get too deep into this, it’s important to keep in mind…

Read More

Who was Ida E. Jackson (1855-1927)?

What we do know about Ida Jackson can be found in an intriguing and beautiful diary found in the Brooklyn Museum Library’s Special Collections. The…

Read More

Gilbert & George take Times Square!

If you’ve been in Times Square lately, you may have seen this already, but we were waiting to post until we had some good photos….

Read More

What’s the perfect gift for an artist?

Paint brushes? Too obvious. A Brooklyn Museum Membership? Almost perfect. During the Members Preview & Reception for Gilbert & George this past Thursday, Museum Director…

Read More

Italian Design on Display

Newly on view on our 4th floor: Italian Post-World War II Design The Brooklyn Museum has been at the forefront of collecting Italian twentieth century…

Read More

Ghada Amer and Reza Farkhondeh’s Artistic Collaboration

As part of September public programming here at the Center for Feminist Art, Ghada Amer and Reza Farkhondeh stopped by the Forum on Saturday, September…

Read More

Exhibition Index Re-Launch, New Collection Features and Tagging Update

The most exciting thing we’ve got going online this week is the re-launch of our Exhibition Index. The original index (below, left) has been online…

Read More

Destination Paintings . . . as Featured on Sunday Arts

In planning our spots for Channel 13, we faced the challenge of choosing two particularly engaging paintings from among the many works on view objects…

Read More

Jesper Just at the Opera

The catalogue for the show Jesper Just: Romantic Delusions draws our attention to how Jesper Just uses a variety of popular songs in his films,…

Read More

The Description de l’Egypte in the Wilbour Library of Egyptology

If you have been following the numerous blogs on this website you are aware that the Brooklyn Museum has organized an exhibition of Egyptian objects…

Read More

ArtShare Revisited

Facebook upgraded the design of the user profiles and we knew some action would be required on our part to overhaul ArtShare along with it. …

Read More

Carnival is coming!

West Indian American Day Parade, 2006. Photo courtesy Sam Liu. All rights reserved. I always know that Labor Day weekend is coming when the the…

Read More

How I learnt about Brooklyn – 2.0 style.

A little background, in 2006 I was finishing a Masters in Online Learning in Sydney Australia, researching how cultural institutions were participating in online social…

Read More

A Public Programs Recap for July!

July was a hot month for programming in the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art! First off, Ladan Akbarnia, Hagop Kevorkian Associate Curator of…

Read More

Kehinde Wiley Here and Around Town

Kehinde Wiley (American, b. 1977). Napoleon Leading the Army over the Alps, 2005. Oil on canvas. Collection of Suzi and Andrew B. Cohen, L2005.6. Photo…

Read More

Reflections on Click! by James Surowiecki

Much of the critical reception of Click! has focused, understandably, on the artistic quality of the photographs that the crowd liked best, with a number…

Read More

Petah Coyne – New Installation on 5th Floor

New on view on the 5th floor is an installation of works by Petah Coyne from the collection. These works are individual pieces that have…

Read More

Tag! You’re it!

We’ve just launched our collection online and now we need some help tagging, so visitors can better find objects within it. Of course, we were…

Read More

A Titanic–Egypt Connection in the Wilbour Library of Egyptology

Like people, books have histories. Bookplates, inscriptions and marginal notes all tell us something about where the book has been and who owned it. The…

Read More

Q&A about the Conservation of objects for “To Live Forever”

“To Live Forever” is finally up at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and they have done an amazing job posting a wealth of information on…

Read More

Crowd-Curated or Crowd-Juried?

After I was recently asked to write a blog posting about Click! from my perspective, I spoke with some of my colleagues—Patrick Amsellem, Associate Curator…

Read More

Top 10 Reasons The Commons on Flickr is Awesome

I promised a follow-up after we’d been in The Commons for a while, so here you go. Top 10 Reasons The Commons on Flickr is…

Read More

Collection Preview (and re-thinking tagging)

Our collection is going online and this is something we’ve been working on for a long time. Although we have some clean up to do…

Read More

Ghada Amer’s Political Work

(Ghada Amer (American, born Egypt, 1963) and Ladan S. Naderi (French, born Iran, 1960). I ♥ Paris, 1991. Three chromogenic prints from a series of…

Read More

Beaux-Arts Court Gets a New Floor

Postcard of the plan for the Brooklyn Museum as envisioned by McKim, Mead, & White in 1893. The original design plan for the Brooklyn Museum,…

Read More

Click! The Book

Cover: Marcia Bricker Halperin. Dubrow’s Cafeteria, 1979. Softcover: 86 pages, 7 x 7 inches. Details, including a special $3-off coupon from Blurb.com, can be found…

Read More

Information Cascade!

Photo by Donna Aceto, who saved the day when my camera battery died. Thanks, Donna. I couldn’t help but laugh last Saturday night. Click! was…

Read More

Reflections on June Public Programs in the Center!

June was a rather fruitful month for programs in the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art! On Target First Saturday we listened to Ghada…

Read More

Little Treasures From the Past

One of the delights in preserving the Libraries and Archives collections at the Brooklyn Museum is that I am so often pleasantly surprised at what…

Read More