It is no secret that the Brooklyn Museum’s public hours have been inconvenient to many of our visitors. From the frustrated tourist arriving on a weekday at 4:30pm only to be told, “Galleries will begin clearing in 15 minutes,” – to our neighbors exiting the Brooklyn Museum/Eastern Parkway subway stop on their way home from work—a 5:00pm closing time represented a serious obstacle to visitation.
Back in March, I initiated an online discussion of the issues and asked for feedback. We heard from many of our friends, and the responses we received helped drive our decision-making. As we performed a delicate balancing act of providing more evening hours without significantly increasing costs, we kept these visitor preferences in mind:
- “Keep the weekend morning hours; that’s a quiet, less crowded time that combines well with a brunch.”
- “Stay open on Thursdays or Fridays at least until 9.”
- “Provide additional late night opportunities to see special exhibitions.”
I’m thrilled that the new public hours announced today meet these goals:
- Wednesdays 11-6
- Thursdays and Fridays 11-10
- Saturdays and Sundays 11-6
We look forward to welcoming everyone as we implement the new schedule on Wednesday, October 6, 2010. For more information, please read our press release (pdf).