All posts in Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art

The Dinner Party (Heritage Floor; detail)

Writing Women Back Into History

As I embarked on The Dinner Party Wikipedia project, my first step was to conduct a thorough assessment of the presence of these 1,038 women…

Read More
The Dinner Party

Ending the ongoing cycle of omission

The conversation about sexism on Wikipedia is longstanding. In 2011, The New York Times Room for Debate took up the question of why there are…

Read More

George Grosz, Otto Dix and World War I

In my last post, I highlighted several of the many prints in the Brooklyn Museum’s collection that, like those now on view in the Käthe…

Read More

German Expressionist Prints at the Brooklyn Museum

The current exhibition in the Herstory Gallery of the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art features the politically engaged work of early twentieth-century artist…

Read More
Yoko Ono's Wish Tree

Yoko Ono’s Wish Tree

Since the 1990s, Yoko Ono has created her work Wish Tree in locations all over world.   In honor of Ono’s acceptance of the Brooklyn Museum’s…

Read More

Know Your Museum-Sounds (Remembering the Triangle Fire)

Image Courtesy of Sarah Gentile Remembering the Triangle Fire by Know Your Museum March 25, 2011 marks the centennial of the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. Brooklyn…

Read More
Subversion Ma

Wikipop iPads and Visitor Metrics

Now that Seductive Subversion has closed, it’s time to look at the Wikipop project and report on what we’ve seen in the galleries over the…

Read More
Cents Sign Travelling from Broadway to Africa via Guadeloupe

Cents Sign Traveling From Broadway to Africa via Guadeloupe

When I first saw Chryssa’s neon sculpture in storage in late 2004, the object was in an unexhibitable state, missing the two end pieces of the…

Read More

An Invitation to The Dinner Party Institute

This summer I had the opportunity to further investigate ways to teach students about feminist artworks from the Brooklyn Museum’s collection when I participated in…

Read More

BklynFlow on GitHub

The essential experience of Wikipedia is, for me, one of deep focus without effort — of getting lost in thought without feeling like I’m really…

Read More

Wikipedia and the Women of Pop Art

I was thrilled when Shelley and Catherine Morris, Curator of the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art, approached me about working on this Wikipedia…

Read More

Welcome to WikiPop, 25 Articles in English (on iPads in the Gallery)

Seductive Subversion opens today and the show takes a look at the impact of women artists on the traditionally male-dominated field of Pop art.  The…

Read More

Patricia Cronin and Harriet Hosmer Meet Across Generations

In the Herstory Gallery, Patricia Cronin’s luminous watercolors series has captivated many visitors since the exhibition opened last June. This is the last weekend to…

Read More

Jen DeNike and PERFORMA are “happening” at First Saturday

Academic Programs Coordinator Eleanor Whitney and artist Jen DeNike conduct a walkthrough of the Rubin Pavillion and Lobby in preparation for TWIRL. For months, the…

Read More

The Fertile Goddess: Endings and Beginnings, Part III: Creation

An installation view of The Fertile Goddess intro panel and title taken for archival purposes by our ECAMEA Curatorial Assistant, Kathy Zurek-Doule. All this time,…

Read More

The Fertile Goddess: Endings and Beginnings, Part II: Planning

Last summer we met in storage for a “bonding” session with the figures we selected from the collection for the show, where Maura, Ellen Belcher…

Read More

The Fertile Goddess: Endings and Beginnings, Part I: Conception

An installation view of The Fertile Goddess in the Herstory Gallery. Photograph by Christine Gant. As we deinstall The Fertile Goddess exhibition, it seems appropriate…

Read More

The Fertile Goddess Comes to a Close

Excavated examples of figurines such as this one from northern Mesopotamia (modern Iraq) and Syria, made during the Late Halaf Period in the late fifth…

Read More

“Body Language: Brooklyn Museum”: A Mother’s Day Performance by the True Body Project

The True Body Project. Photograph courtesy True Body Project. Copyright Esther Freeman, True Body class of 2005. This Mother’s Day program has grown out of…

Read More

“Feminism Now: New Feminist Art Scholarship” Symposium Tomorrow!

Tomoko Sawada (Japanese, b. 1977). Untitled, from the OMIAI series, 2001. Chromogenic photographs. On Loan from the Arthur M. Sackler Collections in honor of the…

Read More

The Fertile Goddess: Consultants and Colleagues

Co-curator Maura Reilly, consultant Ellen Belcher, and the Halaf figurine. During the planning stages of special exhibitions or permanent installations, it is a common practice…

Read More

Burning Down the House Artist Focus: CARRIE MAE WEEMS

Carrie Mae Weems (American, b. 1953). Untitled (Man Smoking/Malcolm X), from the Kitchen Table series, 1990. Gelatin silver print, edition 5 of 5. Brooklyn Museum,…

Read More

Burning Down the House Artist Focus: NAYLAND BLAKE

Curator Maura Reilly installing Nayland Blake’s Untitled, 2003 in the galleries of the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art with Supervising Maintainer Filippo Gentile,…

Read More

Happy New Year from “The Fertile Goddess”

The latest exhibition in the Herstory Gallery, The Fertile Goddess, just opened on December 19, 2008. Imagine how delighted Sarah Giovanniello, Research Assistant, Elizabeth A….

Read More

An Ongoing Series of Panels on Human Trafficking

In the autumn of 2008, the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art began an ongoing series on the serious and epidemic issue of sex…

Read More

Deinstalling Ghada Amer: Love Has No End

Introduction didactic to Ghada Amer: Love Has No End with packing boxes. Photo by Sarah Giovanniello Last week we watched as the deinstallation of Ghada…

Read More

Ghada Amer and Reza Farkhondeh’s Artistic Collaboration

As part of September public programming here at the Center for Feminist Art, Ghada Amer and Reza Farkhondeh stopped by the Forum on Saturday, September…

Read More

A Public Programs Recap for July!

July was a hot month for programming in the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art! First off, Ladan Akbarnia, Hagop Kevorkian Associate Curator of…

Read More

Ghada Amer’s Political Work

(Ghada Amer (American, born Egypt, 1963) and Ladan S. Naderi (French, born Iran, 1960). I ♥ Paris, 1991. Three chromogenic prints from a series of…

Read More

Reflections on June Public Programs in the Center!

June was a rather fruitful month for programs in the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art! On Target First Saturday we listened to Ghada…

Read More

Moolaadé: Film and Discussion in the Forum this First Saturday!

(Film Still from Moolaadé (2004), directed by Ousmane Sembène.) This month’s Target First Saturday events at the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art here…

Read More

Suffragettes in Silent Cinema

A viewing and discussion of the film Suffragettes in Silent Cinema will be taking place this Saturday, June 21st, in the Forum of the Elizabeth…

Read More

Ghada Amer: Happily Ever After?

(Ghada Amer (American, Born Egypt, 1963). And the Beast, 2004. Acrylic, embroidery, and gel medium on canvas. Collection of the artist, courtesy of Gagosian Gallery….

Read More

South Asian Women’s Creative Collective

(Sara Rahbar, Hosein and I, Oppression Series #2 photo shoot, 2007. Courtesy of the artist.) Working to further the dialogue between women and contemporary art,…

Read More

Esther Hobart Morris: A Suffragette Remembered

In conjunction with the Votes for Women exhibition in the Herstory Gallery, we are always looking for more stories about the many unsung pioneers of…

Read More

Pia Lindman’s Soapbox Event

Free speech: some of us utilize it more than others, babbling faster than the speed of light. While others, meek as mice, prefer to keep our words to…

Read More

Feminist Voice in Dance

Sackler Center intern Lauren Nixon was invited to write for the Joyce Theater’s blog as this month’s Students Talks contributor! As both a dancer and…

Read More

The Elizabeth A. Sackler Center’s First Year Anniversary

The Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art celebrated its one year anniversary on March 15th, 2007 during Women’s History with some truly amazing and…

Read More

Lorraine O’Grady on the Web

(Lorraine O’Grady, Mlle Bourgeoise Noire, 1981, Performance at the New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York. Photo courtesy of Lorraine O’Grady.) Young scholars of art…

Read More

Patterns & Models

Venus, no. 192 (August 1988). “Numero special femmes voiles pour l’été 1988” (Special issue for veiled women, summer 1988). Collection of the artist While living…

Read More

The Elizabeth A. Sackler Center on Facebook

Many of you have already discovered the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art page on Facebook, where you can find information about the Center,…

Read More

amNY features Votes for Women!

Did you see the article on Votes for Women in yesterday’s AMNewYork? Check out Linda Perney and Lauren Johnson’s take on the show and watch…

Read More

Ghada Amer in the New York Sun!

Today’s New York Sun “chats” with Ghada Amer, who opens up to writer Alix Finkelstein about her background as an artist, her take on Abstract…

Read More

Votes for Women featured in Time Out NY!

Votes for Women received some attention from Time Out NY this week in a wonderful feature article titled, “The Ladies’ Room,” by Dan Avery. Run…

Read More

Ghada Amer, Load-in and Installation!

On Wednesday everyone basically hit the ground running as we began the load in and installation for our latest exhibition Ghada Amer: Love Has No…

Read More

Ghada Amer’s work in Conservation

A few weeks ago, Maura and I paid a memorable visit to the Conservation lab in the Museum where several of the works from the…

Read More

Guerrilla Girls Video Uploaded!

The video of the Guerrilla Girls performing and accepting their award at the Brooklyn Museum’s fifth annual Women in the Arts event on November 9th,…

Read More

V-Day 2008!

Sure, chocolate covered strawberries and steamy kisses are nice. And I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a sucker for those sugary treats with…

Read More

Alert! Women Underrepresented in Chelsea Galleries, study shows!

A recent study of the language in more than THREE THOUSAND gallery press releases found some shocking data about the gap in the ratio of…

Read More

Next Up, Votes for Women!

(Unknown Artist, New York Pickets at the White House, January 26, 1917, Records of the National Women’s Party, Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, Washington, D.C.)…

Read More

Goodbye to Global Feminisms—Hello Ghada Amer!

Art handlers and staff go over packing details and take down wall labels. To the right, two large crates filled with works ready to be…

Read More

Congratulations Melissa!

Although she’s been settling into her fabulous new position as the National Programs Manager at ArtTable for a few months now, CONGRATULATIONS are past due…

Read More

More Global Feminisms Press

More international press about the Global Feminisms exhibition from Bulgaria! Diana Popova, “Boryana Rossa: Bio (art) and Cyber (Feminism),” Kultura Weekly, #33 (2472), October 3,…

Read More

Italian Artists in New York

Two weeks ago, while the City was getting ready for the New York City Marathon, an event that gathers many people from Europe, I visited…

Read More

The Art of Mary Beth Edelson

(Mary Beth Edelson, Double Agent, 2000. Courtesy of the Artist). With so much phenomenal attention on feminist art these days, its important to acknowledge that…

Read More

Much More Than Meat Joy

(Carolee Schneemann, still from Fuses, 1965. Courtesy of the Artist.) This month there are a fantastic crop of programs showcasing the work of Carolee Schneemann,…

Read More

The Guerrilla Girls are honored by Women in the Arts 2007

In 2002, the Brooklyn Museum’s Community Committee established a tremendous award to celebrate women artists, patrons, curators, collectors, and critics whose contributions have had a…

Read More

Resisting Images: Women and Gender Studies Film Series 2007-2008

Information for those who are interested in women making film and video art. Rutgers University is running Resisting Images: Women in Film, Women’s and Gender…

Read More

Women in Modernism Colloquium

Women in Modernism Colloquium at The Museum of Modern Art October 25, 2007 Do you still believe there is such a thing as all men’s…

Read More

Feminist Symposium: “The F Word”

The F Word is an all-day symposium being held Friday, October 26 at the Alexander Library Teleconference Room. Registration is required, free and open to…

Read More

Press for the Center

Dear Readers: Below is a list of press compiled about the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art, the permanent installation of The Dinner Party…

Read More

See Our Revamped Web Components!

You’re invited! Come explore The Dinner Party with our new Virtual Tour, which provides an amazing 360-degree view of the installation. The tour lets you…

Read More

Alert! Wage Discrimination Update!

Good news! Last week, the House passed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2007. The bill is named for the plaintiff in the pay…

Read More

August Programs for EASCFA

First Saturday Events – Saturday, August 4 7:00 p.m. Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art, Forum, 4th Floor Film screening In The Time of…

Read More

A Place at the Table

On May 19th, an amazing group of women came and celebrated the Center at the event, “A Place at the Table” and it was a…

Read More

The Future of Feminist Art

Thank you Panelists! On Saturday, July 21st, a panel discussion was held in the Forum of the Center on The Future of Feminist Art. Four…

Read More

July Programs — Please Join Us!

Film Screening as part of Brooklyn Museum Summer Movie Series Sunday, July 15 3:00 p.m. Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art, Forum, 4th Floor…

Read More

Thank You Craig Barnes!

(Elizabeth Sackler & Craig Barnes) We would like to extend a gracious THANK YOU! to our speaker Craig S. Barnes for Saturday’s insightful lecture,…

Read More

A Goddess Visits the Center!

Maura Reilly and Roseanne Barr, June 25, 2007. Photo © Adam Husted Dear Feminists, I’m giddy with excitement when I tell you that one of…

Read More

Lecture on the “Lost Feminine” with Craig Barnes, June 30th

Please join us for an installment of The Dinner Party Lecture Series: Craig Barnes–In Search of the Lost Feminine Saturday, June 30th, 2007, 2-4 p.m….

Read More

Alert! Wage Discrimination Ruling

We are a bit late reporting on this bit of news, but feel it is an important Alert! nonetheless. In the recent Ledbetter v. Goodyear…

Read More

Congratulations Amy!

We would like to CONGRATULATE our former Exhibitions Research Assistant, Amy Brandt, on her new position as Assistant to the Directors of Arts Administration at…

Read More

FAITH RINGGOLD LECTURE THIS SATURDAY!

This Saturday, June 2, 2007 2–4 p.m. Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Auditorium, 3rd floor Come hear Feminist icon, Faith Ringgold discuss her groundbreaking work…

Read More

FORTHCOMING EXHIBITION!

Global Feminisms Remix On View August 3, 2007 – February 3, 2007 Forty-four works selected from Global Feminisms will once again be on view at…

Read More

Thank You A Place at the Table!

A HUGE, HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO OUR SUPPORTERS!First, we’d like to extend an extra special THANK YOU to the women of A Place at the…

Read More