In this paid internship, learn about art and art history with other teens from around New York City. As a Museum Apprentice, you'll go behind the scenes at the Brooklyn Museum throughout the school year to develop your own Museum tours and teach camp groups over the summer.
- Meet curators and learn about the Museum's collections
- Meet education staff and learn how to teach from objects in the Museum's collections
- Develop and teach tours for children in summer camp groups
- Assist with family programs like Arty Facts and Hands-On Art
- Learn about education programming in a museum setting
- Build your communication, planning, and teaching skills
- Strengthen your sense of teamwork, time management, and responsibility
- Be able to request a letter of recommendation upon successful completion of the program
- Get paid $8.00 an hour through December 2014, then $8.75 an hour through August 2015. Returning Apprentices will be paid $9.00 an hour through December 2014, then $9.75 an hour through August 2015. Work up to 212 hours for the year!
To apply, you need to be 1) a high school student, 2) at least fourteen years old, and 3) able to commit to the activities below, which take place October 2014 through August 2015.
During the 2014–15 school year:
|Wednesdays: 3 meetings a month, 5–7 p.m.|
|Saturdays: 2 Target First Saturday sessions, 4:45–9 p.m.|
|Sundays: 2 Arty Facts workshops, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.|
During summer 2015:
|Wednesdays: 10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.|
|Thursdays: 10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.|
|Fridays: 10:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.|