The Cupola House in Edenton, North Carolina, is believed to have been built about 1725 by Richard Sanderson, a New England sea captain. Installed in the Museum is the ground floor of the house: the hall, parlor, chamber (bedroom), pantry, and central stair passage. The lavish woodwork, based on English academic designs transmitted to America through pattern books, dates to 1756–58, when the house was remodeled and the cupola added. The fully-paneled hall is the most elaborate room from the house, and was probably used for important functions and entertaining. It connects through two doors to the pantry, which would have been used as a staging area for serving from a detached kitchen. As in many eighteenth-century American houses, the kitchen was separated from the house to protect against fires and cooking odors. The furniture in the hall, parlor, and chamber is in the Queen Anne and Chippendale styles.