Between 1724 and 1731, Major Henry Trippe, a gentleman landowner and planter of English origin, built a house he called “Carthegena” in Secretary, Maryland. The Trippe House, a one-and-a-half-story brick structure, was typical of many small houses constructed in Virginia and Maryland in the early eighteenth century. The Museum installation includes the entire ground floor: the chamber (the eighteenth-century term for a bedroom), the stair passage, and the large room called the hall, which we would more likely call the living room. One entered the house directly into the hall, a multipurpose room used for dining, entertaining, and conducting business. The hall is furnished in the William and Mary style, with furniture placed against the wall as it would have been when the room was not in use—a common practice in formal room decoration well into the nineteenth century.