Christopher Dresser , The art of decorative design, 1862. Knowledge is Power.
Christopher Dresser was a Scottish designer, botanist, and writer. In this, his first design book, The Art of Decorative Design, Dresser stressed that plant forms should be "conventionalized" rather than naturalistically imitated. Dresser established himself as a major commercial designer and authored other important books including Principles of Decorative Design (1873), also in the collection.
- Image: "Christopher Dresser , The art of decorative design, 1862. Knowledge is Power.", 1862. Printed material. Brooklyn Museum. (NK1560_D81a_Dresser_pl24_Knowledge_is_power.jpg)
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Title: The art of decorative design : with an appendix, giving the hours of the day at which flowers open
- Author: Dresser, Christopher.
- Description: xi, 241 p., 1 L. : ill., 28 plates (part col.) ; 25 cm.
- Citation: Brooklyn Museum Libraries. Special Collections
- Imprint: London : Day and son, 1862.
- Date Display: 1862
- Call Number: NK1560 D81a