The Actor Kawarazaki Gonjuro I (1838-1903) as Osarabakuzo Denji, from the series "Thieves in Designs of the Time"
- Artist: Utagawa Toyokuni III (Kunisada)
- Medium: Woodblock print
- Geographical Location: Japan
- Dates: 1859
- Period: Edo period
- Dimensions: 14 5/8 x 10 1/16 in. (37.1 x 25.6 cm)
- Markings: Censor seal. Engraver's seal. Publisher's seal.
- Signature: Artist's signature: Toyokuni ga (red cartouche, left)
- Collection: Asian Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 2N12, A611
- Accession Number: 76.151.27
- Image: 76.151.27_PS1.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2006
Page from the series entitled "Jidai Mo Iu Ataru Shiranami" in Japanese series ("Notorious Thieves of the Day").
Thief, Kasafube Koso fuji (?), shown standing in front of a large section of a tree trunk holding a large knife in his right hand and wiping it off with a white cloth in his left. The figure is dressed in a short dark blue coat decorated with a repeated design of the heads of horned "oni". Blue-green background. Some mica and gauffrage.
Condition: Good. Needed to be rematted, but was rematted on 6/1/79.