The Actor Kataoka Nizaemon VIII (1810-1863) as Kumokiri Nizaemon, from the series "Thieves in Designs of the Time"
- Artist: Utagawa Toyokuni III (Kunisada)
- Medium: Woodblock print
- Geographical Location: Japan
- Dates: 1859
- Period: Edo period
- Dimensions: 14 1/2 x 9 7/8 in. (36.8 x 25.1 cm)
- Markings: Censor seal, engraver's seal, publisher's seal.
- Signature: Artist's signature: Toyokuni ga (red cartouche, lower left)
- Collection: Asian Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 2N12, A611
- Accession Number: 76.151.28
- Image: 76.151.28_PS1.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2006
Page from the series entitled "Jidai Mo Iu Ataru Shiranami" in Japanese series ("Notorious Thieves of the Day").
The thief Kumokiri Nin Sayeimon (?) shown seated on a wood chest with a smoking pipe in his mouth, a tabacco pouch in his right hand and his left hand drawn across his chest to hold a tie-dyed cloth at the back of his neck. The figure is dressed in a short dark coat with a design of a rampant dragon and wears thongs on his feet.
Condition: Good. Needed to be rematted, but was rematted on 6/1/79.