Double-Sided Folio from a Bhagavata Purana Series
- Artist: Indian (Culture)
- Medium: Opaque watercolor on paper
- Dates: ca. 1610-1650
- Dimensions: sheet: 8 1/8 x 14 3/4 in. (20.6 x 37.5 cm)
image: 7 x 13 1/8 in. (17.8 x 33.3 cm)
- Inscriptions: In Braj, in red pigment, in Devanagari script:
Recto, above: Here, Krishna suddenly grasped the topknot of Kamsa, threw him to the ground, and killed him. Whoever came in front of the two brothers they killed. The Devatas began to shower them with flowers.
Below: The two wives of Kamsa stand with their hands pressed together in supplication as they cry. (Trans. S. P. Tewari)
Verso, at top: The two brothers prostrate themselves at the feet of their mother and father, Devaki and Vasudeva, offering obeisances. They place their heads at their [parents'] feet, who put their hands on their sons' heads.
Above the heads of the parents: Devaki; Vasudeva. (Trans. E. F. Bryant)
- Collection: Asian Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 2N12, I410
- Accession Number: 83.164.1
- Image: 83.164.1_recto_IMLS_PS4.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2009