Senju Great Bridge was originally known as the Great Bridge as it was the only bridge over the Sumida River, (known here as the Arakawa River - or even more locally as the Senju River) until the Ryogoku Bridge was completed in 1661. Senju Great Bridge was not only the first bridge across the Sumida but it also survived the longest, due to its sturdy construction and rot-resistant timber supplied by the lord of Sendai, the most powerful daimyo to use the bridge regularly. Senju Great Bridge, built in 1594, finally washed away in the great flood of 1885. The buildings on the far side of the river are part of the Senju settlement, the first official post town on the road to the north. It was one of Edo's four post stations, together with Shinagawa (shown in print 83 of this series), Naito Shinjuku (print 86), and Itabashi. The mountain in the distance is thought to be Mount Buko.