Balarama Kills the Ass Demon, Page from a Dispersed Bhagavata Purana Series
- Artist: Indian (Culture)
- Medium: Opaque watercolor and silver on paper
- Dates: ca. 1725
- Dimensions: sheet: 8 3/16 x 11 in. (20.8 x 27.9 cm)
- Inscriptions: On reverse: Thus having listened to the narration of his friends, with an intention of promoting their welfare, the Lord, accompanied by the cowherds, went to the palm grove (talavana) with a smile.
Arriving, the Almighty caught hold of his (the ass demon's) hing legs in a hasty motion. Being killed, the wicked (the ass demon) gave out a cry of the cound "ka" from his heart to the king in whose refuge he was, and having been hurled by the Lord with one hand, emitted grass as well as his last breath in front of the king.
- Collection: Asian Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 2N12, I317
- Accession Number: 86.227.166
- Image: 86.227.166_IMLS_PS4.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2009