Portrait of a Gentleman/Mourning Miniature
- Medium: Watercolor on ivory with human hair housed in metal locket with glass lenses
- Dates: late 18th century
- Dimensions: Recto (sight): 2 15/16 x 2 3/8 in. (7.5 x 6 cm)
Verso (sight): 1 3/4 x 1 5/16 in. (4.4 x 3.3 cm)
Frame: 3 3/16 x 2 5/8 in. (8.1 x 6.7 cm)
Frame (height with loop): 3 3/4 in. (9.5 cm)
- Signature: Unsigned
- Inscriptions: Inscribed on memorial on verso: "SACRED WILL / I EVER KEEP / THY DEAR / REMAINS / ES [in monogram]"
- Collection: American Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 5Q12-LUCE, Unit 47, Dwr. A
- Accession Number: 21.478
- Image: 21.478_back_PS2.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2007
Recto is a bust portrait of a white-haired man in dark coat and white shirt facing to his left. Verso is a mourning image of woman at a tombstone (see inscription) flanked by a weeping willow tree and a winged cherub, another cherub in sky above; human hair used in ground and tree leaves.