An Out-of-Doors Study
John Singer Sargent's original title for this painting—An Out-of-Doors Study—raises many questions about what the actual subject of this work may be. Was he referring to the painting we see being executed by his friend, the French painter Paul Helleu? Or was he indicating his own technical experiments with an Impressionist method of working en plein air (painting outdoors)?
- Artist: John Singer Sargent
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dates: 1889
- Dimensions: 25 15/16 x 31 3/4 in. (65.9 x 80.7 cm)
Frame: 41 1/2 x 48 5/8 x 6 in. (105.4 x 123.5 x 15.2 cm)
- Signature: Signed lower right: "John S. Sargent"
- Collection: American Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, EXHIBITION-5, American 5K20
- Accession Number: 20.640
- Image: 20.640_PS6.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2011