The Sisters (Eleanor and Rosalba Peale)
In this glowing portrait of two of his nine children, Rembrandt Peale paid equal tribute to their sisterly love and to their embrace of the family tradition of an artistic calling. Pressed against each another, with arms delicately linked, Rosalba Peale and Eleanor Peale Jacobs sit before a tapestry-covered table on which a palette and volume of music rest. The talented Rosalba, a constant aid in her father's work, holds a drawing tool in her hand.
- Artist: Rembrandt Peale
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dates: 1826
- Dimensions: 42 1/8 x 32 11/16 in. (107 x 83 cm)
- Inscriptions: Inscribed verso: "Rosalba Peale and her sister Eleanor Jacobs, painted by Rembrandt Peale, N. York, 1826. The property of their mother Eleanor Peale."
- Collection: American Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, EXHIBITION-5, American 5J31
- Accession Number: 67.205.3
- Image: CUR.67.205.3.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 0,