Vegetable Dish and Cover
- Artist: Union Porcelain Works (Manufacturer)
- Medium: Porcelain
- Geographical Location: New York City, New York, United States
- Dates: ca. 1880
- Dimensions: 5 1/2 x 10 15/16 x 5 15/16 in. (14 x 27.8 x 15.1 cm)
- Markings: On underside of dish: transfer-printed in green, "U.P.W." above head of an eagle; transfer-printed in yellow, "[within urn] UNION / PORCELAIN / WORKS / GREENPOINT / N.Y." and below urn "10 '85"
- Signature: no signature
- Inscriptions: no inscriptions
- Collection: Decorative Arts
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 5Q12-LUCE, Unit 36, Shelf N
- Accession Number: 68.87.8a-b
- Image: 68.87.8a-b.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2003
Porcelain vegetable dish (a) and cover (b), part of green and white dinner service (68.87.1-13). White porcelain with vitreous glaze. Dish is rectangular in form with rounded corners and bulging body; looped rope handle at each side. Conforming lid has handle on top formed by two looped ropes that meet in center. Molded and applied decorations in gilding and green paint, including looping and braided ropes and basket-weave patterns; roundels containing stylized fleur-de-lis flanked by ribbon and tassel designs.
CONDITION: Good; allover surface dirt; some losses to gilding.