Figure of a Mother Holding a Child (Lupingu lwa Cibola)
- Artist: Lulua (Culture)
- Medium: Wood, copper alloy, palm oil, camwood paste, organic materials
- Geographical Location: Ndemba, West Kasai Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Dates: 19th century
- Dimensions: 14 x 3 3/8 x 3 1/2 in. (35.6 x 8.6 x 8.9 cm)
- Collection: Arts of Africa
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, SPECIAL EXHIBITION, 1-Rotating 1Q23
- Accession Number: 50.124
- Image: 50.124_SL1.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 0,
A wood maternity figure of a woman holding a child which twists her arms. The face of the woman shows elaborate scarification. Below the chest the body is not well defined and narrows considerably. The navel is quite prominent but the remainder of the figure is like a staff. There is no indication of the legs etc.
Condition: Good. From the waist down there is no body.