The Edge of Doom
- Artist: Samuel Colman
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Geographical Location: England
- Dates: 1836-1838
- Dimensions: 54 x 78 1/2 in. (137.2 x 199.4 cm)
Frame: 72 x 96 x 7 1/2 in. (182.9 x 243.8 x 19.1 cm)
- Signature: Signed and dated lower right: "S. Colman 1836" and "S. Colman 1838"
- Inscriptions: Inscribed lower center, on plinth:
"The cloud-capt towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And like the baseless fabric of a vision,
Leave not a rack behind"
Text from Shakespeare, The Tempest, Act IV, Scene 1, lines 151-156.
- Collection: European Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 4H, SCR 50A
- Accession Number: 69.130
- Image: 69.130_SL1.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 0,