Bowl with Kufic Inscription
- Medium: Ceramic; earthenware, painted in brown slip on a white slip ground under a transparent glaze
- Geographical Locations:
- Dates: 10th century
- Dynasty: Samanid
- Period: Samanid Period
- Dimensions: 4 1/2 x 13 7/8 in. (11.4 x 35.2 cm)
- Inscriptions: See Unicode Inscription for Arabic text.
In Arabic (Kufic script), "Peace is that which is silent and only his speech will reveal the [?] of the man with faults."
The proverb was published by Abdullah Ghouchani in “Inscriptions on Nishapur Pottery” (1986, see Bibliography for full citation in English and Persian).
Inscription read by Abdullah Ghouchani
- Collection: Arts of the Islamic World
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 5H18, 3F
- Accession Number: 86.227.19
- Image: 86.227.19_SL1.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 0,