- Artist: David Melville (Maker)
- Medium: Pewter
- Geographical Location: Newport, Rhode Island, United States
- Dates: 1776-1793
- Dimensions: 3/4 x 8 1/4 x 8 1/4 in. (1.9 x 21 x 21 cm)
- Markings: Impressed on underside, from top to bottom:
(1) stamp with "MADE IN NEWPORT / BY D. MELVIL[...]" arching around a pentagon-shaped medallion containing partially worn five-leafed form above field of stars.
(2) row of four small square hallmarks containing, from left to right: partially struck "[D]M"; anchor surrounded by stars; fox (or wolf?) hanging from chain around its belly and surrounded by stars; flower.
- Inscriptions: On underside near stamp #1, lightly incised in script: difficult to read letters that could be "Craf[...]"
- Collection: Decorative Arts
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 5H26, 1A
- Accession Number: 45.10.32
- Image: 45.10.32.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2003
Highly polished round pewter plate with wide rim that curves upward at edge. Incised line around rim, about ¼" from edge.
CONDITION: Good; some scratches on inside bottom and a few deep pit marks and dark spots of discoloration; about 1" long scratch or corroded area along outer edge of rim.