- Artist: David Melville (Maker)
- Medium: Pewter
- Geographical Location: Newport, Rhode Island, United States
- Dates: 1776-1793
- Dimensions: 1 1/4 x 14 1/8 x 14 1/8 in. (3.2 x 35.9 x 35.9 cm)
- Markings: Impressed on underside, from top to bottom:
(1) stamp with "MADE IN NEWPORT / BY D. MELVIL[...]" arching around a pentagon-shaped medallion containing partially worn five-leafed form above stars.
(2) row of four small square stamps containing, from left to right: partially struck "[D]M"; anchor surrounded by stars; fox (or wolf?) hanging from chain around its belly and surrounded by stars; flower.
- Collection: Decorative Arts
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 5H26, 1A
- Accession Number: 45.10.38
- Image: 45.10.38.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2003
Large round, shallow, highly polished pewter plate with wide rim that turns up slightly at rounded edge.
CONDITION: Fair; shows heavy use with allover scratches, pitting, gouges, and dents; slightly bent around rim.