The Leech and His Patient, Illustration for The Scarlet Letter
- Artist: Felix Octavius Carr Darley
- Medium: Brown-black ink with graphite underdrawing on cream, thick, very smooth, highly calendered wove paper.
- Dates: ca. 1878
- Dimensions: Image: 12 x 16 5/16 in. (30.5 x 41.4 cm)
Sheet: 16 1/16 x 22 1/4 in. (40.8 x 56.5 cm)
- Signature: Signed lower left corner of image on pipe, in ink: "F O C Darley"
- Inscriptions: Inscribed in graphite, upper center of sheet: "The Leech and his Patient." and at bottom center: "'Why should not the guilty ones sooner / avail themselves of this unattainable solace?'"
Inscribed in ink above upper right corner of image: "5."
- Collection: American Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 4H
- Accession Number: 15.484
- Image: 15.484_bw_IMLS.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 0,