Pickle Dish (Centennial)
- Artist: American (Culture)
- Medium: Glass
- Geographical Location: United States
- Dates: ca. 1876
- Dimensions: 1 3/8 x 9 3/8 x 5 3/8 in. (3.5 x 23.8 x 13.7 cm)
- Inscriptions: In center of dish around the Liberty Bell, molded inscriptions: "1776 1876 / [on banner passing through top loop of bell] DECLARATION INDEPENDENCE"
Around bouge, molded inscriptions: "100 YEARS AGO" along top and, along bottom, the names of the original thirteen states listed in three columns: from left to right, top to bottom (1) "NEW HAMPSHIRE. / RHODE ISLAND. / CONNECTICUT. / NEW YORK."; (2) "NEW JERSEY. / PENNSYLVANIA. / MASSACHUSETTS. / DELAWARE. / MARYLAND."; (3) "VIRGINIA. / NORTH CAROLINA. / SOUTH CAROLINA. / GEORGIA."
- Collection: Decorative Arts
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 5Q12-LUCE, Unit 21, Shelf F
- Accession Number: 46.161.2
- Image: 46.161.2.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, Nov 30, 2003
Colorless pressed glass pickle dish. Oval shaped dish with fluted rim; rim extends at sides to form rounded handles. In center of dish, molded image of Liberty Bell surrounded by the inscriptions: "1776 1876 / [on banner passing through top loop of bell] DECLARATION INDEPENDENCE". Around bouge, inscription: "100 YEARS AGO" along top and, along bottom, the names of the original thirteen states listed in three columns [see "Inscriptions" for full texts]. Handles decorated with molded, curved log.
CONDITION: Good; some dirt around logs in handles.