Chapter VIII "The Animal Village," "And Spread His Wings and Flew on High"
- Artist: Reginald Birch
- Medium: Black ink with touches of white correction fluid on heavy wove paper
- Dates: 1940
- Dimensions: Sheet: 19 1/2 x 14 5/16 in. (49.5 x 36.4 cm)
Image: 14 x 9 1/16 in. (35.6 x 23 cm)
- Signature: Signed in black ink, upper right: "[circular symbol] / Birch" (signature integrated into lines of drawing, inconspicuous)
- Inscriptions: Inscribed in graphite, lower left: 'Chap VIII / "And spread his wings and flew on high / then said: 'I really ought to cry / But the trouble is you cannot fly'- / and the ostrich answered '[why]'." '
- Collection: American Art
- Museum Location: Brooklyn Museum, BMA, 2N12, I609
- Accession Number: 68.225.14
- Image: CUR.68.225.14.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 0, 11/21/2008