Winter on 21st Street, New York
Trained as a quick-sketch artist for the leading Philadelphia newspapers, Everett Shinn was at home with the spontaneity of the pastel medium. In his turn-of-the-century New York street scenes, which constitute some of his finest and most original work, he employed his keen eye and rapid hand to capture the rough aspect and grinding pace of urban life.
- Artist: Everett Shinn, American, 1876-1953
- Medium: Pastel on gray paper mounted overall to pulpboard
- Dates: 1899
- Dimensions: 20 3/8 x 24 3/8 in. (51.8 x 61.9 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower center: "Everett Shinn / [2 illegible digits]"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 56.3
- Credit Line: Gift of Solton Engel
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Everett Shinn (American, 1876-1953). Winter on 21st Street, New York, 1899. Pastel on gray paper mounted overall to pulpboard, 20 3/8 x 24 3/8 in. (51.8 x 61.9 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Solton Engel, 56.3
- Record Completeness: Best (85%)