Head of Buddha
This sculpture's softly modeled features, downcast eyes, and serene expression are characteristic of art produced under the patronage of the Gupta dynasty. The sculptor has masterfully conveyed the deep inner peace and meditative absorption of an enlightened being.
- Medium: Sandstone
- Dates: 5th Century C.E.
- Period: Gupta Period
- Dimensions: 17 x 10 1/4 x 10 1/2 in. (43.2 x 26 x 26.7 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Asian Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Asian Galleries, Arts of India, 2nd Floor
- Accession Number: 86.272
- Credit Line: Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Paul E. Manheim
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Head of Buddha, 5th Century C.E. Sandstone, 17 x 10 1/4 x 10 1/2 in. (43.2 x 26 x 26.7 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Paul E. Manheim, 86.272. Creative Commons-BY
- Record Completeness: Good (62%)