Girl with Apple
Is this a modern Eve about to take a bite of the apple? William Glackens certainly counted on his viewers to make that association. Moreover, he offered a fresh American update on the subject of the nude studio model, paraphrasing one of France's most famous paintings, Edouard Manet's Olympia.
- Artist: William Glackens, American, 1870-1938
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dates: 1909-1910
- Dimensions: 39 7/16 x 56 3/16 in. (100.2 x 142.7 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower left: "W. Glackens"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 56.70
- Credit Line: Dick S. Ramsay Fund
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: William Glackens (American, 1870-1938). Girl with Apple, 1909-1910. Oil on canvas, 39 7/16 x 56 3/16 in. (100.2 x 142.7 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Dick S. Ramsay Fund, 56.70
- Record Completeness: Best (91%)