Kneeling Figure Effigy Pipe
On this pipe a youthful male, probably a warrior, is represented in an attitude of submission, with his head straining forward. His elaborate hairdo and multiple strands of beads indicate that he might have enjoyed high status. The use of the sculpture as a pipe, with the stem inserted into the figure’s back, may bestow power on the smoker. The form and iconography of this compactly carved pipe bowl provide insights into rituals of fifteenth- and sixteenth-century warfare among the chiefly societies that dominated what is now the southeastern United States.
En esta pipa un hombre joven, probablemente un guerrero, se representa en actitud de sumisión, con su cabeza inclinada hacia adelante. Su peinado elaborado y los múltiples filamentos de cuentas indican que puede haber pertenecido a la alta sociedad. El uso de la escultura como pipa, con la boquilla insertada en la espalda de la figura, puede otorgar poder al fumador. La forma e iconografía de esta cazoleta tallada en forma compacta provee elementos para entender los rituales guerreros del siglo quince y dieciséis entre las principales sociedades que dominaban lo que es hoy el sudeste de los Estados Unidos
- Medium: Stone, pigment
- Geographical Locations:
- Dates: 1400-1500
- Dimensions: 4 13/16 x 6 11/16 x 3 3/8 in. (12.2 x 17 x 8.6 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Arts of the Americas
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Arts of the Americas Galleries, 5th Floor
- Accession Number: 37.2802PA
- Credit Line: Frank Sherman Benson Fund and the Henry L. Batterman Fund
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Kneeling Figure Effigy Pipe, 1400-1500. Stone, pigment, 4 13/16 x 6 11/16 x 3 3/8 in. (12.2 x 17 x 8.6 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Frank Sherman Benson Fund and the Henry L. Batterman Fund, 37.2802PA. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Carved grey stone pipe bowl representing a youthful male in an attitude of submission. Crouching with arms pulled back along his sides, his head is strained forward, and his mouth is open with teeth exposed. His hairdo is elaborate with two beads hanging down over his forehead. He is wearing multiple beaded armbands, wristbands, and legbands. The bowl of the pipe is carved into his back.
- Record Completeness: Best (90%)