Teppozu and Tsukiji Honganji Temple, No. 78 from One Hundred Famous Views of Edo
In the distance along the Teppōzu shore is the great Nishi Honganji Temple, the headquarters of one of two rival Buddhist sects. Its main hall was one of the largest buildings in Edo and a familiar landmark both on land and at sea.
This print and the following one bear the anomalous series title Edo hyakkei yokyō. Although it is unclear exactly how to interpret the meaning of the suffix yokyō, which tends to suggest "side entertainment" or "diversion," the most likely explanation is that after the series had reached its promised quota of a hundred views, additional prints began to be issued as "extra entertainment."
- Artist: Utagawa Hiroshige (Ando), Japanese, 1797-1858
- Medium: Woodblock print
- Place Made: Japan
- Dates: 7th month of 1858
- Period: Edo Period, Ansei Era
- Dimensions: Sheet: 14 3/16 x 9 1/4 in. (36 x 23.5 cm) Image: 13 3/8 x 8 3/4 in. (34 x 22.2 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: No publisher's seal visible, probably lost when left margin was trimmed.
- Signature: Hiroshige-ga
- Collections:Asian Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 30.1478.78
- Credit Line: Gift of Anna Ferris
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Utagawa Hiroshige (Ando) (Japanese, 1797-1858). Teppozu and Tsukiji Honganji Temple, No. 78 from One Hundred Famous Views of Edo, 7th month of 1858. Woodblock print, Sheet: 14 3/16 x 9 1/4 in. (36 x 23.5 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Anna Ferris, 30.1478.78
- Catalogue Description: Along the Teppozu shore are stone jetties, built to protect the area from storms, and in the foreground are fishermen. The large temple in the distance is Nishi Hongagi, originally built in 1617 in Hama-cho but moved to the present location following the Meireki fire of 1657 and given a ten-acre lot in the newly reclaimed area of Tsukiji ("built-up land"). The main hall of the temple was one of the largest buildings in Edo and its location here became a familiar landmark (see prints 2, 21, and 80 of the series), it was known under a number of popular honorific names, such as Tsukiji Gobo or Tsukiji Monzeki. The building was destroyed in a violent storm in 1854 and rebuilding was not completed until 1860. It was probably under construction when this print was published. There is good detail in the fabric printing on the two sails at the bottom of the print.
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)