The soft outlines and suffused golden light of this placid Ecuadorian landscape lend it a nostalgic sensibility. When Frederic Edwin Church painted this work, nearly fifteen years had passed since his previous visit to South America. Altered perhaps by the veil of memory or the mellowing that comes with greater age, Church’s later renderings of the Ecuadorian Andes relinquished the scientific purposefulness and drama of his earlier paintings (see below) in favor of more generalized views and quieter moods.
- Artist: Frederic Edwin Church, American, 1826-1900
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Place Made: United States
- Dates: 1873
- Dimensions: 38 5/16 x 59 15/16 in. (97.3 x 152.2 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower center: "F.E. Church / -73"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 63.150
- Credit Line: Dick S. Ramsay Fund
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Frederic Edwin Church (American, 1826-1900). Tropical Scenery, 1873. Oil on canvas, 38 5/16 x 59 15/16 in. (97.3 x 152.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Dick S. Ramsay Fund, 63.150
- Record Completeness: Best (92%)