Jerusalem Jerusalem (Jérusalem Jérusalem)
From Solomon’s Porch in the Temple complex, Jesus berates a large crowd of the devout for the killing of the prophets and predicts their rejection of him. Tissot paints Christ with his back turned to the viewer, an isolated figure.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 6 7/8 x 8 3/8 in. (17.5 x 21.3 cm) Sheet: 6 7/8 x 8 3/8 in. (17.5 x 21.3 cm) Frame: 15 x 20 x 1 1/2 in. (38.1 x 50.8 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed bottom right: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.210
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). Jerusalem Jerusalem (Jérusalem Jérusalem), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 6 7/8 x 8 3/8 in. (17.5 x 21.3 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.210
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)