Conspiracy of the Jews (Conspiration des juifs)
As they continue to plot against Jesus, the chief priests warn against acting during the feast of Passover, fearing a possible uprising at a time when Jerusalem’s population swelled dramatically, with many visitors in town to celebrate the holiday.
While a young man keeps watch, the priests speak closely together, stroking their beards and scowling in an almost caricatural fashion, in Tissot’s rendering.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 9 7/16 x 7 5/16 in. (24 x 18.6 cm) Sheet: 9 7/16 x 7 5/16 in. (24 x 18.6 cm) Frame: 20 x 15 x 1 1/2 in. (50.8 x 38.1 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed top right: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.215
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). Conspiracy of the Jews (Conspiration des juifs), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 9 7/16 x 7 5/16 in. (24 x 18.6 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.215
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)