The Holy Virgin Kisses the Face of Jesus Before He is Enshrouded on the Anointing Stone (La Sainte Vierge baise la face de Jésus avant qu'il ne soit enveloppé par les suaires sur la pierre de l'onction)
In his text, Tissot describes the slow, careful manner with which the Virgin, attended by other holy women, washed and dried her son’s wounds before the procession accompanied the body to the stone of anointing.
In this image, the body has been wrapped, according to Jewish custom, with linen bands before being placed in a series of shrouds, the last hiding the face. Before covering his visage, the Virgin gives her son a final kiss.
Unlike the images in the Passion, in which Mary sometimes gesticulates wildly, here she performs her duties quietly, indicating a calm acceptance of God’s will.
- Portfolio/Series: The Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ (La Vie de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ)
- Artist: James Tissot, French, 1836-1902
- Medium: Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper
- Place Made: France
- Dates: 1886-1894
- Dimensions: Image: 9 13/16 x 14 7/8 in. (24.9 x 37.8 cm) Sheet: 9 13/16 x 14 7/8 in. (24.9 x 37.8 cm) Frame: 16 7/8 x 22 7/8 x 1 1/2 in. (42.9 x 58.1 x 3.8 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed bottom right: "J.J. Tissot"
- Collections:European Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 00.159.323
- Credit Line: Purchased by public subscription
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: James Tissot (French, 1836-1902). The Holy Virgin Kisses the Face of Jesus Before He is Enshrouded on the Anointing Stone (La Sainte Vierge baise la face de Jésus avant qu'il ne soit enveloppé par les suaires sur la pierre de l'onction), 1886-1894. Opaque watercolor over graphite on gray wove paper, Image: 9 13/16 x 14 7/8 in. (24.9 x 37.8 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchased by public subscription, 00.159.323
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)