Sketchbook, Tonal Sketches of Landscape, Coastal and Marine Subjects in Different Weather Conditions
In the evening Richards filled sketchbooks with pencil drawings of landscapes, coasts, and seas under all effects of light and weather. These monochromatic yet light-filled studies, each image framed with a border, were rendered in subtle tonal modulations and intended as exercises in composition. This page depicts a memory of the ruins of Tintagel on the Cornish coast. Although small in size, these little drawings possess a luminous sense of space and represent as purely subjective and poetic a response to light, space, and the sea as is to be found in Richards’s oeuvre.
- Artist: William Trost Richards, American, 1833-1905
- Medium: Graphite on paper
- Dates: ca. 1890
- Dimensions: 5 x 7 7/16 in. (12.7 x 18.9 cm) (show scale)
- Inscriptions: See description
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 75.15.12
- Credit Line: Gift of Edith Ballinger Price
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: William Trost Richards (American, 1833-1905). Sketchbook, Tonal Sketches of Landscape, Coastal and Marine Subjects in Different Weather Conditions, ca. 1890. Graphite on paper, 5 x 7 7/16 in. (12.7 x 18.9 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Edith Ballinger Price, 75.15.12
- Catalogue Description: Sketchbook with 45 bound pages and 4 loose pages containing tonal coastal scenes in graphite. p1 yellow page, blank p2 water with coastal cliffs/mountains. p3 seascape, with hills and snowcapped mountain in background p4 turbulant water, coastal hills p5 turbulant water, coastal mountains p6 view across water to high coastal mountains, trees in foreground p7 turbulant water, coastal hills with structure built on cliff p8 view across water to very high mountains p9 rocky coast, p10 rocky coast, turbulant water p11 coastal cliff with fortress-like building p12 coastal cliff with fortress-like building; two horsemen in foreground p13 coastal cliff, castle or fortress on top of cliff p14 coatal scene, boats moored and loosely sketched town p15 coastal scene, boats in foreground, castle or fortress atop coastal cliff p16 coastal cliffs p17 loosely sketched coastal hills p18 loosely sketched coastal cliffs p19 loosely sketched coastal cliffs and turbulant water p20 coastal cliffs p21 coastal cliffs, possibly buildings atop cliffs p22 rocky coastal cliffs p23 field with trees and a fence p24 field with trees p25 coastal scene p26 coastal cliffs p27 coastal cliffs, possibly a building atop rocky cliff p28 coastal cliffs, stormy atmosphere p29 coastal cliffs with bird flying overhead p30 coastal cliffs, looking toward sun (study of light effects) p31 coastal cliffs p32 scene from beach looking out at waves and coastline to the right p33 beach scene with forested coastline. Loosely sketched figures on beach? p34 scene from beach of rocky coastal cliffs, four boats in distance p35 coastal scene of rocky coastal cliffs, possibly structures atop cliffs p36 seascape with many sailboats p37 seascape with many sailboats p38 coastal cliffs, study of sunbeam hitting rocky surface of cliffs p39 seascape, single sailboat and wave p40 loose sketch of rocky hillside and two trees p41 seascape with boats in distance p42 rocky coastal cliffs p43 view from beach of water, and coastline across the way with high mountains p44 seascape view from beach p44verso, loosely sketched trees or grasses, almost illegible p45 yellow page, landscape sketch of trees and grasses in foreground with coast in background. Inscribed at center right, "Blue" p45verso scribbles, horizon line? Inscribed at left, ""The houseless oceans heavy field" / 7 am. / "Lone [Tintasel?]."" Four loose pages inserted at back of sketchbook: 1. Coastal scene of rocky coastal hills 2. Seascape 3. Rocky coastal cliffs, structure built atop cliff 4. Loose sketch of rocky cliff above sea Inside back cover: Loose landscape sketch of field/grasses. Inscribed at upper/center left, "Blue"
- Record Completeness: Best (83%)