Coney Island (Parachute Jump)
Today covered in a coat of red paint, the steel tower of the Parachute Jump is the only remaining sign of Steeplechase Park. In the years during and after World War II, riders were hoisted to the top of the tower in a canvas seat attached to a closed parachute. When they were dropped from the top, only the parachute would slow the descent. Like the Wonder Wheel, the Cyclone, and Childs Restaurant, the tower is now protected by its landmark status and will remain at Coney Island even after the redevelopment of the area. Like several other steel structures that made their way to Coney Island, the Parachute Jump originated as a ride at a world’s fair (in this case, the 1939 New York World’s Fair), reflecting the often-utopian nature of the ventures that developed Coney Island over its history.
- Artist: Stephen Salmieri, American, born 1945
- Medium: Gelatin silver photograph
- Dates: 1969
- Dimensions: Sheet: 14 x 11 in. (35.6 x 27.9 cm) Image: 12 x 9 1/2 in. (30.5 x 24.1 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed in graphite verso "Salmieri"
- Inscriptions: Titled in graphite verso "1969 Coney Island"
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 82.201.24
- Credit Line: Gift of Edward Klein
- Rights Statement: © Stephen Salmieri
- Caption: Stephen Salmieri (American, born 1945). Coney Island (Parachute Jump), 1969. Gelatin silver photograph, Sheet: 14 x 11 in. (35.6 x 27.9 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Edward Klein, 82.201.24. © Stephen Salmieri
- Record Completeness: Best (84%)