Mug, "In the Forest..."
This mug is unusual for its complex landscape design and the poetry of its inscription: "In the forest must always be a nightingale & in the soul a faith so faithful that it comes back even after it has been slain."
- Decorator: SG
- Manufacturer: Paul Revere Pottery, 1902-1948
- Medium: Glazed earthenware
- Place Manufactured: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- Dates: 1912
- Dimensions: Height: 3 7/8 in. (9.8 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: On bottom, handpainted in black "S.E.G./10-12/S.G."
- Collections:Decorative Arts
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 2007.7.4
- Credit Line: Gift of Joseph F. McCrindle in memory of J. Fuller Feder, by exchange
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: SG. Mug, "In the Forest...," 1912. Glazed earthenware, Height: 3 7/8 in. (9.8 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Joseph F. McCrindle in memory of J. Fuller Feder, by exchange, 2007.7.4. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Mug of thick-walled straight sides that taper towards base with applied handle. Exterior decorated with grainy matte glaze in natural/beige, beige, blue, green, yellow, and black landscape scene. Painted in black to proper right of group of trees, “IN THE FOREST/MUST ALWAYS BE/A NIGHTINGALE/IN THE SOUL/A FAITH SO/FAITHFUL THAT/IT COMES BACK/EVEN AFTER/IT HAS BEEN/SLAIN"
- Record Completeness: Best (90%)