This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Modern 1947 Coney Island
In the prosperity that followed World War II in America, families found themselves with more money to spend. Coney experienced a brief moment of renewal, with record crowds in the summer seasons of the late 1940s. This beauty-pageant contestant was photographed at the Parachute Jump, a ride from the 1939 New York World’s Fair that the Tilyou family bought for Steeplechase in 1941. Beauty contests had been held at Coney for some time, with annual Venus contests at Steeplechase by the 1920s.
- Medium: Gelatin silver photograph
- Dates: 1947
- Dimensions: Sheet: 11 x 14 in. (27.9 x 35.6 cm) (show scale)
- Inscriptions: Inscribed in graphite "Modern 1947 Coney Island" verso
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: X894.18
- Credit Line: Brooklyn Museum Collection
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Modern 1947 Coney Island, 1947. Gelatin silver photograph, Sheet: 11 x 14 in. (27.9 x 35.6 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Museum Collection, X894.18. © artist or artist's estate
- Record Completeness: Best (84%)