Edward Lycett’s designs frequently emulated fashionable English and continental art pottery, as seen in this comparison of an FMCo ewer with a closely related English Crown Derby one.
Both vessels exhibit the exoticism associated with the Aesthetic Movement, but the smaller-scale English ewer with its delicate and precise decoration is challenged by the distinctly American FMCo ewer, which is characterized by bolder decoration and scale.
This text refers to these objects: ' 1999.1; 1999.152.110
- Designer: Edward Lycett, American, born England, 1833-1910
- Maker: Faience Manufacturing Company, 1881-1892
- Medium: Glazed porcelain
- Place Made: Greenpoint (now Brooklyn), New York, United States
- Dates: ca. 1885
- Dimensions: 16 1/2 x 8 x 8 in. (41.9 x 20.3 x 20.3 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: On base: impressed "623"; printed, standard logo of intertwined "FMC"; handpainted "12"
- Collections:Decorative Arts
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 1999.1
- Credit Line: Gift of Emma and Jay Lewis in honor of Kevin L. Stayton
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Edward Lycett (American, born England, 1833-1910). Ewer, ca. 1885. Glazed porcelain, 16 1/2 x 8 x 8 in. (41.9 x 20.3 x 20.3 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Emma and Jay Lewis in honor of Kevin L. Stayton, 1999.1. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Ewer, cream-colored porcelain with polychrome decorations in the Japanese taste. Squat bulbous body resting on canted foot ring, tapers to elongated cylindrical neck. Neck flares at top with upright duckbill-shaped spout. C-shaped gilded, reticulated handle attached at the middle of the neck and shoulder of body. Polychrome decorations on body accented and traced with gold: raspberry bush branch with berries, and leaves, and a bird on one side; smaller branches extend around to the other side which also includes a butterfly. Molded band around top edge of neck with gilded floral motifs; gilded bands around foot ring and edge of spout. Condition: Excellent
- Record Completeness: Best (92%)