This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
The Old Man of Mikeno
- Artist: Carl E. Akeley, American, 1864-1926
- Cast By: Kunst Foundry, NY
- Medium: Bronze
- Dates: 1923
- Dimensions: 24 3/4 x 29 1/2 x 20 in. (62.9 x 74.9 x 50.8 cm) (show scale)
- Markings: Foundry mark inscribed on top of proper right side of base: "KUNST Foundry N.Y"
- Signature: Inscribed on front edge of base at center, under inscription: "Carl Akeley Sc" and "© 1923"
- Inscriptions: Inscribed on front edge of base at center: "The Old Man of Mikeno"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is on view in Luce Visible Storage and Study Center, 5th Floor
- Accession Number: 24.552
- Credit Line: Gift of George D. Pratt
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Carl E. Akeley (American, 1864-1926). The Old Man of Mikeno, 1923. Bronze, 24 3/4 x 29 1/2 x 20 in. (62.9 x 74.9 x 50.8 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of George D. Pratt, 24.552. © artist or artist's estate
- Catalogue Description: Chest-length bust of a male gorilla facing frontally on a rectangular base; roughly textured surface; realistic representation. Condition: Good.
- Record Completeness: Good (75%)