This image is presented as a "thumbnail" because it is protected by copyright. The Brooklyn Museum respects the rights of artists who retain the copyright to their work.
Not Yet Titled
Jules de Balincourt’s monumental painting Not Yet Titled continues a tradition of portraying dramatic landscapes that characterized the Hudson River School of painters. Unlike his predecessors, whose elaborate studio canvases drew on specific details of actual sites, here de Balincourt favors a generic touristic landscape with a steep waterfall that empties into a body of water ringed by palm trees. Tiny figures in boats enhance the atmosphere of leisure-time pleasure, which is set against the forces of nature. Utilizing a flat, painterly, almost intentionally naïve technique of painting, de Balincourt can be regarded as part of a general revival of painting that began to occur in the early twenty-first century. The acquisition of Not Yet Titled will initiate an intriguing dialogue between contemporary practice and the distinguished nineteenth-century American landscape paintings in the collection. Born in France and educated in the United States, de Balincourt is based in Brooklyn.
- Artist: Jules de Balincourt, French, born 1972
- Medium: Oil on panel
- Dates: 2007
- Dimensions: 97 x 72 in. (246.4 x 182.9 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Contemporary Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 2007.34
- Credit Line: Purchase gift of Shelley Fox Aarons and Philip E. Aarons, Bruce and Bridgitt Evans, the Arthur and Constance Zeckendorf Foundation, John and Barbara Vogelstein, Arline and Norman Feinberg, Suzi and Andrew B. Cohen, and David and Joan Genser
- Rights Statement: © artist or artist's estate
- Caption: Jules de Balincourt (French, born 1972). Not Yet Titled, 2007. Oil on panel, 97 x 72 in. (246.4 x 182.9 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Purchase gift of Shelley Fox Aarons and Philip E. Aarons, Bruce and Bridgitt Evans, the Arthur and Constance Zeckendorf Foundation, John and Barbara Vogelstein, Arline and Norman Feinberg, Suzi and Andrew B. Cohen, and David and Joan Genser, 2007.34. © artist or artist's estate
- Record Completeness: Best (82%)