In keeping with his early oil paintings, Arthur B. Davies rendered this idealized figure subject within a shadowy and broadly defined landscape setting and worked the surface heavily, densely building up the layers of pastel. This effect of density is further enhanced by his use of a black watercolor ground.
- Artist: Arthur B. Davies, American, 1862-1928
- Medium: Pastel applied both wet and dry over black watercolor with touches of crayon or colored pencil
- Dates: 1900
- Dimensions: 12 x 9 1/16 in. (30.5 x 23 cm) Framed: 22 7/8 x 16 7/8 in. (58.1 x 42.9 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower left: "A.B. Davies"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 24.246
- Credit Line: Gift of Frank L. Babbott
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: Arthur B. Davies (American, 1862-1928). Cherubian Children, 1900. Pastel applied both wet and dry over black watercolor with touches of crayon or colored pencil, 12 x 9 1/16 in. (30.5 x 23 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Frank L. Babbott, 24.246
- Record Completeness: Best (83%)