Study of Landscape (recto) / Unfinished Perspective Study (verso)
In this particularly successful pastel, Twachtman allowed the gray paper to play an assertive role in a Whistlerian fashion. He anchored the composition with some limited outlines of rocks and trees, and otherwise described the open landscape with carefully placed but slightly brusque touches of pastel.
- Artist: John Henry Twachtman, American, 1853-1902
- Medium: Pastel with graphite underdrawing on gray wove paper
- Dates: ca. 1888-1895
- Dimensions: 14 1/8 x 21 7/8 in. (35.9 x 55.6 cm) Framed: 22 7/8 x 28 7/8 in. (58.1 x 73.3 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower right (recto): "J.H. Twachtman"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 25.419
- Credit Line: Museum Surplus Fund
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: John Henry Twachtman (American, 1853-1902). Study of Landscape (recto) / Unfinished Perspective Study (verso), ca. 1888-1895. Pastel with graphite underdrawing on gray wove paper, 14 1/8 x 21 7/8 in. (35.9 x 55.6 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Museum Surplus Fund, 25.419
- Catalogue Description: verso: unfinished interior perspective study
- Record Completeness: Best (83%)