The Antiquary Shop
William Merritt Chase based this subject on sketches he compiled in Venice, during his first, transformatlve European sojourn, frorn 1872 to 1878. The detalls—various art objects and antiques offered for sale—signal the antiquarian interests that Chase developed while abroad. The Antiquary Shop anticipates Chase's paintings of the lavishly decorated New York studio that he established on his return. Although the array of textiles, metalwork, ceramics, and paintings in this scene represent the kind of objects sought by late nineteenth-century collectors, the figures, dressed In the costume of the Napoleonic era, lend It a historical air.
- Artist: William Merritt Chase, American, 1849-1916
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Place Made: United States
- Dates: 1879
- Dimensions: 26 1/2 x 33 15/16 in. (67.3 x 86.2 cm) Frame: 37 x 44 1/2 in. (94 x 113 cm) (show scale)
- Signature: Signed lower left: "Wm M Chase--1879"
- Collections:American Art
- Museum Location: This item is not on view
- Accession Number: 13.53
- Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Carll H. de Silver in memory of her husband
- Rights Statement: No known copyright restrictions
- Caption: William Merritt Chase (American, 1849-1916). The Antiquary Shop, 1879. Oil on canvas, 26 1/2 x 33 15/16 in. (67.3 x 86.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of Mrs. Carll H. de Silver in memory of her husband, 13.53
- Record Completeness: Best (86%)