Christianity most likely arrived in Ethiopia in the first century. The conversion of King Ezana in 330 c.e. led to its official acceptance and the minting of coins bearing one of the earliest uses of the cross as a Christian symbol. Although the silver pendant crosses in the Museum’s collection are from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, their forms have a considerably longer history, as the much older copper, wood, and iron crosses here demonstrate.
Hand crosses, which are used by priests, are either hand-held or suspended from a cord around the neck. They are kissed by the faithful to receive a blessing. Processional crosses are carried on long poles in religious processions. Prayer staffs are used to mark rhythms during sacred dances and as supports to lean on while standing for long hours during Orthodox church services. Together, all of these crosses are emblems of the Ethiopian Orthodox church’s ongoing authority.
This text refers to these objects: ' 1997.168.1; 2000.123.1; 79.72.3; 79.72.6; 79.72.30; 79.72.24; 79.72.20; 79.72.12; 79.72.27; 1998.126.4; 1998.126.3; 2000.95.1; 79.72.14; 79.72.11; 79.72.17; 79.72.13; 79.72.31; 88.192.4; 79.72.21; 79.72.18
- Culture: Amhara
- Medium: Silver
- Place Made: Ethiopia
- Dates: 19th or 20th century
- Dimensions: 2 x 1 5/8 in. (5.0 x 4.2 cm) (show scale)
- Collections:Arts of Africa
- Museum Location: This item is on view in African Storage Annex, East Gallery, 1st Floor
- Accession Number: 79.72.11
- Credit Line: Gift of George V. Corinaldi Jr.
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Amhara. Pendant Cross, 19th or 20th century. Silver, 2 x 1 5/8 in. (5.0 x 4.2 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Gift of George V. Corinaldi Jr., 79.72.11. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Silver neck cross in form of a circle. Along the outside rim of the circle on the obverse are four half-circle forms alternating with diamond shape forms. The central area is pierced. There is incised linear decoration. On the reverse, the rim of the circle is decorated with a looped filigree design. Condition: Very good.
- Record Completeness: Best (85%)