Mudpack Coiffure (Emedot)
The Karamojong and other related peoples of western Kenya and Uganda are primarily nomadic cattle keepers. The focus of their visual art is body ornamentation, including elaborate mudpack coiffures worn by men. The hairstyle takes the form of a large bun of hair at the back of the head and an intricately designed area of colored clay above the forehead. The addition of rare, valuable ostrich feathers to the coiffure indicates the individual’s status as an elder or warrior.
- Culture: Karamojong
- Medium: Organic material, pigment, human hair, plastic beads, ostrich feathers, chicken feathers
- Place Made: Kenya
- Dates: 20th century
- Dimensions: 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 19 3/4 in. (31.8 x 31.8 x 50.1 cm)
- Collections:Arts of Africa
- Museum Location: This item is on view in African Storage Annex, East Gallery, 1st Floor
- Accession Number: 1996.112.2
- Credit Line: John W. James Fund
- Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
- Caption: Karamojong. Mudpack Coiffure (Emedot), 20th century. Organic material, pigment, human hair, plastic beads, ostrich feathers, chicken feathers, 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 19 3/4 in. (31.8 x 31.8 x 50.1 cm). Brooklyn Museum, John W. James Fund, 1996.112.2. Creative Commons-BY
- Catalogue Description: Casque-shaped wig with extended large flat chignon in rear; conical crown above forehead. Outer surface of chignon covered with human hair. Underside of chignon lined with cloth; hollow inner pocket used to carry valuables. Mud-plastered wig decorated with incised parallel lines. Distributed red, yellow and purple pigment on exterior. Between the crown and cap is a band of human hair; attached to the hair is a string of white, navy and red plastic beads. Inserted into aluminum rings at tip of crown and sides of cap are ostrich feathers; inserted into conical mound at top of coiffure are ostrich and chicken feathers. One aluminum ring remains empty on either side of cap. Condition: Crack in cap held together with gauze. Some feathers missing from aluminum rings.
- Record Completeness: Best (87%)